Retain with Student Support: Create a sense of belonging and identity as a member of the field
Actionable Steps and Practices
- Encourage positive faculty-student interaction.
- Encourage positive student-student interaction, both within and outside of the classroom, to create a sense of community and belonging among students. For example, utilize well-structured collaborative learning in class, and encourage participation in on-campus student groups and the online NCWIT Aspirations Community.
- Strengthen underrepresented students’ identities as a members of the field through research experiences, conference attendance, and exposure to role models and mentoring.
- Understand and combat the effects of unconscious bias and stereotype threat.
- Make sure the physical environment is welcoming and inclusive.