Top 10 Ways Families Can Encourage Girls’ Interest in Computing
Published on 12/12/2018
Technology is a fast-growing, high-paying, creative field. Here are 10 ways that you, as a family member, can encourage the girls in your life to study, and have a career in, computer science and related technology fields.
Additional Resources For Families:
- Rosie Revere, Engineer and Hello Ruby are two fictional characters designed to inspire and activate the tech imagination in young girls.
- Google’s Made With Code initiative offers a variety of online resources to activate girls’ interest in coding. They developed a Made With Code Party Kit as a D.I.Y. guide for girls and their families.
- GEMS (Girls Excelling in Math and Science) offers a wide range of online activities and resources to expose and engage elementary-aged girls in STEM. Girl Makers provides a wide-range of hands-on activity ideas.
- Scratch is a free program created by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Media Lab that helps students learn how to code by creating programs, stories, games, and other projects.
- FabFems is an online connectory of women working in the STEM professions. The FabFems international directory enables girls to connect with a role model and to increase their awareness about careers in STEM.