Recruit Strategically: Deliver effective messaging strategies to your target audiences.
Actionable Steps and Practices
- Focus recruiting efforts on women with the appropriate aptitude and interest who can enroll in your program within the next 1-3 years.
- Use effective messaging. Emphasize computing’s real world, socially relevant applications, and show that a diversity of people belong in it.
- Use well-taught and engaging introductory courses to recruit undecided students. Explicitly encourage underrepresented students who may be candidates for the major.
- Collaborate with individuals and offices both on and off campus who reach potential majors, such as admissions, advising, marketing, introductory course instructors, high school teachers, and guidance counselors. Consider providing “talking points” to ensure that messaging about computing and your program is accurate.
- Develop a strategic plan for recruiting (and retaining) underrepresented students, and use evaluation to shape initiatives and monitor progress.