Learning About Intersectionality: Videos That Spark Discussion
Let’s Talk About Gender, Race, and Identity
Use this slide deck, with its short videos (~3 min) and discussion questions, to learn about the complexity of gender, the concept of intersectionality, and how to have productive discussions about race.
View the slide deck HERE.
Videos included in this resources are:
- The Genderbread Person, Katie Couric & Sam Killermann
- Sharing Your Pronouns, LGBT Equity Center, University of Maryland, College Park
- The Myth of Race: Debunked in 3 Minutes, Jenée Desmond Harris
- What is Intersectionality? Kimberlé Crenshaw
- How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Discussing Race, Jay Smooth
Video transcripts are available here.
Access the reflection questions handout here.
Ideas for Using This Resource
After watching each set of videos, discuss the questions in pairs, then open the discussion up to the entire group. The reflection questions are designed to get you thinking, but also to help you practice responding when these issues come up.
Use this resource with:
- work teams
- management trainees
- K-12 teachers
- college faculty
- student teaching assistants
- classes or student organizations
Send Us Your Feedback
NCWIT would appreciate your feedback on how you’re using this resource. Please send comments and suggestions to email@example.com.